Pray for Scholar Dr Yohanna Katanacho
Langham Scholar and author Dr Yohanna Katanacho lives and works Israel.
The Holy Land has long endured unrest, discord, and violence – even when Jesus walked the earth. After the horrors of WWII, the State of Israel was formed in 1948. Subsequent wars between Israelis and neighbouring Arabs has led to Israeli occupation of territories in the West Bank, Gaza Strip, and Golan Heights. Tensions remain high between the Jewish majority and Palestinian minority. Among Israel’s 8.9 million people, 75% is Jewish, 18% Muslim, and 2% Christian.
A Palestinian Christian, Yohanna grew up in Jerusalem, and has ministered in Bethlehem and Nazareth for much of his life. He earned his PhD in Old Testament from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in 2007, and currently serves as Academic Dean and Professor of Biblical Studies at Nazareth Evangelical College.
Praying Through The Psalms
In Yohanna’s latest Langham Literature book Praying Through the Psalms, Yohanna contemplates each Psalm for a Middle Eastern context, expressing a theology of tears and hope amid oppression and violence.
Yohanna’s wife Dina serves as the Director of the Arab Israeli Bible Society and reaches out to women in her context. Yohanna and Dina have three sons: Immanuel, Jonathan, and Chris.
1. For the MA students and graduates of Nazareth Evangelical College, that they will continue to advocate love amid hatred and peace amid war.
2. For the spread of justice and equality for all the citizens of Israel, especially in light of political decisions concerning the Jewishness of Israel.
3. Praise God with Yohanna for the Langham Literature publications this year: Praying through the Psalms and the Arabic Contemporary Commentary. He was one of the main editors for the Old Testament and contributed commentaries on Proverbs, Lamentations, and Ezra. Pray that this resource will be a great blessing to Arab speakers around the world.
4. For many activities before the end of this year (traveling overseas three times, and speaking at several conferences locally and internationally). Pray that God will expand His Kingdom and lift up the name of Jesus.
5. For Yohanna’s three boys, that they will be close to Jesus and will follow Him with all their hearts.
This article appeared in November 2018’s Prayer Guide from Langham Partnership UKI.Tags: Israel, Langham Literature, Palestine, Scholar, Yohanna Katanacho